RQeflection and Discussion Foum Week 3Question 1
- Assigned Readings:Chapter 7. Business Ethics EssentialsChapter 8. Managerial and Organizational EthicsChapter 9. Business Ethics and TechnologyChapter 10. Ethical Issues in the Global ArenaInitial Postings: Read and reflect on the assigned readings for the week. Then post what you thought was the most important concept(s), method(s), term(s), and/or any other thing that you felt was worthy of your understanding in each assigned textbook chapter.Your initial post should be based upon the assigned reading for the week, so the textbook should be a source listed in your reference section and cited within the body of the text. Other sources are not required but feel free to use them if they aid in your discussion.Also, provide a graduate-level response to each of the following questions:
Describe an ethical dilemma that you faced in the workplace. Analyze how you would resolve the dilemma using (1) utilitarianism, (2) the principle of rights, (3) the principle of justice, (4) virtue ethics and (5) the Golden Rule. Based on your analysis of these principles, what course of action would result in the most ethical outcome? Determine what ethical principle(s) or tests(s), if any, were employed by senior management or required by the companys code of conduct. Finally, describe the course of action that you took in the situation and ascertain whether you would choose the same course of action again or if you would act differently based on your analysis of the ethical principles, managements behavior and the requirements (if any) of the companys code of conduct.
- [Your post must be substantive and demonstrate insight gained from the course material. Postings must be in the student’s own words – do not provide quotes!] [Your initial post should be at least 450+ words and in APA format (including Times New Roman with font size 12 and double spaced). Post the actual body of your paper in the discussion thread then attach a Word version of the paper for APA review]Submitting the Initial Posting:Your initial posting should be completed by Thursday, 11:59 p.m. EST. Response to Other Student Postings: Respond substantively to the post of at least two peers, by Friday, 11:59 p.m. EST. A peer response such as I agree with her, or I liked what he said about that or similar comments are not considered substantive and will not be counted for course credit.[Continue the discussion through Sunday,11:59 p.m. EST by highlighting differences between your postings and your colleagues’ postings. Provide additional insights or alternative perspectives]Evaluation of posts and responses: Your initial posts and peer responses will be evaluated on the basis of the kind of critical thinking and engagement displayed. The grading rubric evaluates the content based on seven areas:Content Knowledge & Structure, Critical Thinking, Clarity & Effective Communication, Integration of Knowledge & Articles, Presentation, Writing Mechanics, and Response to Other Students.
Question2 Activity 3
What Would You Do?A popular U.S. TV show is titled What Would You Do? Using actors and hidden cameras, the show presents a variety of scenarios of people acting out in situations, usually conflicts or poor treatment of someone, in a public setting. The show focuses on the reactions of the people watching what is being acted out, while not knowing that those engaged in the scenario are just actors. The reactions of those watching the scenarios are recorded and later the shows anchor, John Quinones, comes out from hiding and confronts those who have reacted and asks them why they did what they did.Some of the shows episodes have featured situations, such as racial profiling occurring in a restaurant, parents publically disapproving of their childs interracial dating, a pompous club promoter denying people entry based on how they are dressed, teenagers taunting a homeless man on the street, and a grocery bagger being insulted because of a disability.If you observed the following scenarios, what would you do? Why would you react the way you did?
Several young men and women are stealing items from an open house you are attending. You do not know the hosts very well, but you know most of those who are stealing.
A waitress is being hassled by her supervisor who is using verbal sexual innuendo at the restaurant where you are trying to enjoy your meal. You are a regular customer but you do not know the waitress because she is new. 3. You observe a man accidentally dropping an expensive bottle of wine in a liquor store when the man- ager is not looking. The man turns to those around him and denies responsibility; he even tries to blame a Latino maintenance employee who is working cleaning up the store.
A transgender woman named Amelia works as a server at a restaurant and proceeds to inform a regular customer that she used to be a man named Bill. The customer begins to harass Amelia.
A good friend of yours tells you he is planning to omit certain important facts from his resume before he applies for the same job you are applying for. He says its not important that they know I just lived off my parents for two years after college. Hey, I needed a break.
At your place of employment, a customer paid too much for an order; but your boss told you not to call it to his attention.
- What would you do in each of these situations if you observed them occurring?Would your actions reflect conventional thinking about business ethics? Would you react differently than most people? Why?What would be the primary source of ethical norms that would be at work in your thinking (see Figure 7-5)?Requirements:
There is no minimum or maximum required number of pages. Your analysis will be considered complete, if it addresses each of the 5 components outlined above.
Use of proper APA formatting and citations. If supporting evidence from outside resources is used those must be properly cited. A minimum of 7 sources (excluding the course textbook) from scholarly articles or business periodicals is required.
Include your best critical thinking and analysis to arrive at your justification.
Approach the assignment from the perspective of the senior executive leadership of the company.
Submission: Upload/attach your completed paper to this assignment by the due date. Please see the Course Syllabus for the actual due date.
question 3Problem Set #3
Hemingway Corporation manufactures and sells construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines, and diesel-electric locomotives in the United States. The company is considering expanding its operations worldwide to boost its income and cash flows. The expansion project will require the company to raise $100 million capital to finance the project. Mike Schenk, MBA has been hired to assist the company with the preparation of financial statement analysis and to suggest actions needed to raise the needed funds. Schenk is directed to send copies of the financial statement analysis to management of the company, potential lenders, and strategic investors. The balance sheet and income statement for the company are shown below.
Balance Sheet (Millions of Dollars)
- Cash and equivalents
Total current assets
Net fixed assets
- Liabilities and equity
Total current liabilities
- Total liabilities
- Common stock (100,000 shares)
Total common equity
Total liabilities and equity
Income Statement (millions of Dollars)
Cost of goods sold
Other operating expenses
Earnings before interest and taxes (EBIT)
Industry average for selected ratios
Operating profit margin
Fixed assets turnover
Basic Earning power
Total assets turnover
1. The financial ratio analysis of the company is being conducted for management, equity investors, and long-term potential creditors. Explain the primary emphasis of each of these groups in evaluating the ratios.
2. Calculate the following profitability ratios for Hemingway Corporation for 2020:
i. Operating profit margin
ii. Return on assets (ROA)
iii. Return on equity (ROE)
iv. Basic Earning Power (BEP)
3. Calculate the following asset management ratios for Hemingway Corporation for 2020:
i. total assets turnover
ii. Fixed assets turnover
iii. Inventory turnover
4. Calculate the following liquidity and debt management ratios for Hemingway Corporation in 2020:
i. Current ratio
ii. Quick ratio
iii. Debt ratio
5. Explain trend analysis. Calculate the projected profitability ratios for Hemingway Corporation for 2021.
6. Using the trend analysis indicate whether the financial performance of Hemingway Corporation has improved or worsened over the years.
7. Explain benchmarking. Indicate whether the asset management ratios of the company have improved or worsened relative to the industry.
8. Mike Schenk is using the extended Dupont equation to predict the Return on Equity (ROE) for Hemingway Corporation for 2022. He forecasts the following ratios for 2022.
Total assets turnover
Calculate the Return on Equity (ROE) for Hemingway Corporation for 2022.
9. Mike Schenk explains to the CEO that although financial ratio provides useful information concerning the companys operation, it has limitations that necessitate care and judgment. Identify four limitations of ratio analysis that Mike is addressing.
10. In the report sent to investors and credit lenders, Mike indicated that financial statement analysis goes beyond comparing ratios, and that qualitative factors must be considered as well. Identify five such qualitative factors that the users of the financial statement should consider when evaluating the companys future financial performance.