In this weeks assignment, you will develop a letter to an official in your state or local government (choose the individual in the level of government that will best address your issue). The purpose of this letter is to advocate for action with regards to your chosen health care environment issue. Remember, when writing the letter, you must use your personal address and telephone number unless you are exclusively representing a group or your organization.
Be sure to address each main point. Read the performance-level descriptions for each criterion to see how your work will be assessed. In addition, note the requirements for document format and length and for supporting evidence. Review the assignment instructions and scoring guide to ensure you understand the work you will be asked to complete and how it will be assessed.
Overall, your assignment submission will be assessed on the following criteria:
Summarize the health care economic issue that you are addressing.
Keep this brief but try to include details about how the issue is currently impacting the elected officials constituents.
- Explain the positive outcomes that will occur if the issue is addressed and the negative outcomes that will occur if the issue is not addressed.
Tailor this messaging to focus on the impacts in the communities and organizations that are relevant to the elected official you are writing to.
- Summarize key information from scholarly sources to support the importance of addressing the issue, the issues overall impact on health care at the institutional, local, state, and national levels, and proposed changes or actions to address the issue.
- Cite at least five current, scholarly sources that support your argument and help provide the elected official (who may not have a detailed knowledge of the health care environment) with an understanding of the issues, changes, or actions that you are proposing to drive improved outcomes.
Identify the impact your issue has on health care institutions and health care providers at the local community, state, and national levels.
- Make sure to include information from both a health care and an economic perspective. An elected official may be more responsive to one perspective than another.
- Incorporate ethical, cultural, and diversity principles when picking resources and making recommendations for change in your assessment.
Explain how personal, professional, and organizational experiences have informed the resource planning and risk analysis for working towards addressing the economic issue.
- Think about how your experiences (the experiences can be personal, professional, or from your teams perspective or experience) affect how you have planned for the resources needed to implement your desired changes or actions. How did this impact your approach to conducting a risk analysis on the project?
- Convey purpose, in an appropriate tone and style, incorporating supporting evidence and adhering to organizational, professional, and scholarly communication standards.
- Remember to conclude your letter with a summary of your position on the issue and a compelling reason that the elected official should act in your favor and support your issue or initiative.
- Be sure to reflect on the studies and discussions you have completed so far and consider how the content of these activities might inform your approach to this assignment. Ask your instructor any questions you have about the assignment.
- Additional Requirements
Audience: Make sure you are addressing your letter to an actual local or state official.
- For most states, you can use the following resource:
- Open States. (n.d.). Find your legislators. https://openstates.org/find_your_legislator/
For local officials, search your citys government website for officials and their positions.