Before completing this assessment, ensure that you have finalized your research topic template and your research organization tool. Your topic should include psychological concepts and a population. Populate your research organization tool with 5-10 scholarly, empirical research sources. Completing the media pieces will enhance your understanding.
For this assessment, you will complete your annotated bibliography with 10 scholarly, empirical research sources, published within the last five years,
Annotated bibliographies serve as an overview of the research. They help with summarizing and organizing key points from the research literature so that the role of the published research can be critically evaluated against the research topic. It is an important step prior to embarking on the literature review. A good annotated bibliography will help bridge main ideas from the research and your own independent ideas related to your research topic.
In this course, the annotated bibliography is the next step in the course project after the literature search. Your annotated bibliography will contribute to the research question as you use it to build the literature review. Addressing each source specifically and in detail allows key aspects to emerge. Furthermore, it enables the understanding of each researcher’s point of view. A complete annotated bibliography should result in clear themes that inform the research topic.
Before beginning this assessment, be sure you have completed your Research Topic Template [DOCX]. You have a choice to create a literature map as outlined in the course text or use the research organization tool provided through the Capella library’s Staying Organized & Keeping Track: Research Tools page.
This assessment consists of an annotated bibliography. However, it is important to see the pathology of your work. Developing the research topic, the literature search question, and dissecting the literature are all part of understanding how you develop your annotated bibliography.
Use the media pieces to understand the components of the annotated bibliography. Make sure to number each source. Include 10 scholarly research sources, published within the last five years, for this assessment. Make sure to apply proper APA style and formatting. You will submit your annotated bibliography, research topic template, and your research organization tool of choice, as a single submission, but separate files.
NOTE: Your assessment will be returned if the topic template and research organization tool are not submitted.
- Number each source.
- Include a minimum of 10 empirical research sources.
- Apply current APA formatting. Each annotation should include the citation of the source, just as it would appear in the reference list.
- Identify the journal’s impact factor. (See Psychology PhD Library Research Guide: Source Quality.)
- Identify the research question.
- Identify the research problem that the author or authors hoped to resolve.
- Identify the methods the authors used to investigate the research question.
- Provide a summary of the findings.
- Evaluate the work.
- You can do this by addressing the arguments and counter arguments from research and that were made in the research study, or discussing the value that the research study findings have for the fieldhow it advances the knowledge base. Also, consider the strengths and areas were the research could expand.
- Finally, discuss how the study supports your research topic.
To successfully complete this assessment, make sure to:
- Finalize your research topic template. Check to make sure that the template has all sections filled out and that the topic has been narrowed as much as possible.
- Finalize your research organization tool. At this point it should include 10 research articles. You have a choice to create a literature map as outlined in the course text or use one from the Capella library’s Staying Organized & Keeping Track: Research Tools page.
- Understand the components of the annotated bibliography. Revisit the media to understand what you need to know. Make sure to include the content that has been outlined above.
Note: your literature review will require 20 sources because you will need to include theoretical research sources. You may exceed 10 sources for this assessment but you must include no fewer than 10.
The annotated bibliography assessment should contain 6-8 pages, including the cover page.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the course competencies through the following assessment scoring guide criteria:
- Competency 1: Determine the scientific merit of the professional literature.
- Identify and describe the research problem that the author(s) hope to resolve.
- Evaluate the research.
- Discuss how the study supports the research topic.
- Competency 2: Apply theoretical and research findings from the discipline of psychology to professional and academic activities.
- Restate the research question in the article.
- Identify the methods used to investigate the research question.
- Summarize the research findings.
- Competency 3: Apply ethical principles and standards of psychology to academic and professional activities.
- Identify the source of the article as a peer-reviewed journal article reporting research.
- Competency 5: Communicate psychological concepts effectively using the professional standards of the discipline.
- Convey purpose, in an appropriate tone and style, incorporating supporting evidence and adhering to organizational, professional, and scholarly writing standards.
- Exhibit proficiency in writing and use of APA (7th edition) style. Include a minimum of 10 scholarly research articles.