Project 3: SDN and IBN Task
Hide Assignment InformationInstructions
Software-defined networking (SDN) and intent-based networking (IBN) offer an ability to revolutionize the modern network architecture. Both of these concepts are relatively new, and your chief technology officer (CTO) has only heard them in passing. In fact, she pawned them off as the new marketing fad dressed up as a new concept. Since you have researched both technologies, you understand this is not a fad. When used in combination with virtualization and cloud computing, you know SDN and IBN could revolutionize how the organization operates, providing for reduced costs, efficiency, better management of the network assets, and security.
However, you need to develop a white paper for the Caduceus CTO to highlight these benefits. Given the CTO has only heard the term in passing, you must describe in this white paper, the SDN and IBN concepts, their benefits, and what it would take for the organization to implement.
Forming Your Teams
In addition to submitting your individual white paper here in Assignment 3, you will also begin to work with your team for the upcoming collaborative projects (Assignments 4 and 5). You should meet your team, brainstorm ideas for your white paper together, and begin planning your upcoming work.
Writing Your Paper
After you introduce yourself to your team and brainstorm ideas for this assignment, refer to the SDN and IBN Assignment Resources for more details about Caduceus and download the assignment template.
In your white paper, use additional sources of information but also describe the concept in laymans terms. Use visuals where appropriate. Describe how an SDN/IBN architecture would look different than network architectures we have traditionally deployed. Compare and contrast the network architectures and discuss the pros and cons of each.
The paper should include the following sections:
- introduction to software-defined networking (SDN) (discussed in Week 3)
- introduction to intent-based networking (IBN) (discussed in Week 4)
- discussion on how virtualizing the desktop and now back-end infrastructure are complementary and related
- discussion of how SDN and IBN are related
Submitting Your Work
Download the assignment template cover page and complete your white paper.
How Will My Work Be Evaluated?
The following evaluation criteria aligned to the competencies will be used to grade your assignment:
- 1.1.1: Articulate the main idea and purpose of a communication.
- 1.1.2: Support the main idea and purpose of a communication.
- 1.1.3: Present ideas in a clear, logical order appropriate to the task.
- 1.1.4: Explain the relationship between the ideas presented to enhance clarity and comprehension.
- 1.3.3: Integrate appropriate credible sources to illustrate and validate ideas.
- 1.4.1: Produce grammatically correct material in standard academic English that supports the communication.
- 1.4.3: Write concise and logical sentences in standard academic English that clarify relationships among concepts and ideas.
- 2.3.1: State conclusions or solutions clearly and precisely.
- 10.1.3: Define the specifications of required technologies.
- 13.2.1: Evaluate vendor recommendations in the context of organization requirements.