There are 13 questions to answer this week. Please answer in detail – no yes or no answers and respond to 2 classmate’s posts by 11:59 pm on Sunday.
1. When, if ever, is book censorship justified?
2. Use examples to explain and defend your answer. Make sure you read Chapter 3 “Books” especially “Controversies” before answering.
3. Read up on the recent Dr. Seuss books that were banned. How do you feel about that? Was it a good idea or not? Explain your reasoning.
4. What are some of the effects of e-books on the general population?
5. What type of reader are you? What effect has your reading style had on your education and your life?
Now, we are living in a time where we are facing censorship in the media. Its been the focus of many news stories these past few months.
What do you think?
6. Should we ban people from sharing their opinions on social media?
7. Should we take away access to Twitter, Facebook etc… if their opinions or beliefs differ from those who own the social media platforms?
8. Many people agree with banning certain people or groups because they dont agree with what they are saying. But what happens when eventually someone doesnt like your opinion or beliefs and wants to ban you from communicating on a social media platform or even having your own website hosted?
9. These are serious questions we all must face. What happens to balanced information if only one side is allowed to speak?
10. What happens to debate or discussion?
11. What happens when the media becomes gatekeepers of information?
12. Do you believe the media should label opposing views as “misinformation” and censor those opinions?
13. Who exactly are the “fact checkers”?,
This week I would like you to read an online edition of a newspaper and hard copy of a newspaper. Your post and replies to two classmate’s posts
1. After reading through each section tell us what aspects you liked of each and what you didn’t like as much.
2. Which format are you more likely to use? Why?
3. Do you currently read a newspaper (hard copy or online) on a regular basis? Why or why not?
4. Did you grow up in a household where your parents read the paper on a regular basis?
5. Do you prefer reading an in depth report (like you might find in a newspaper) or watching a shorter version of the story (like you might find on a local newscast)?
Part 2: Newspaper Media Coverage
1. Read up on a current event or news story in a newspaper (hard copy or online format ok)
2. The media is becoming more polarized in its reporting often as a result political party lines. Give an example of coverage of an event/news story where perspectives reported are completely opposite from each other. Include the link to the story you used as an example.
3. Compare and contrast the media’s coverage of this story.
4. How do you feel about the coverage in the example you chose?
Jimmys World Reaction Task
After reading both the Jimmys World article and the article about its author, Janet Cooke, please write a 2- page summary/reaction/opinion to the article including the situation surrounding the author and her story.