HR004 Assessment Instructions
Review the details of your assessment including the rubric. You will have the ability to submit the assessment once you completed all of the related pre-assessments and engage with your Faculty Subject Matter Expert (SME) in a substantive way about the competency.
In this Performance Task Assessment, you will apply concepts related to organizational structure. Be sure to write for the specific audience described in each part of the Assignment, as it relates to the scenario described.
To complete this Assessment:
- Download the Academic Writing Expectations Checklist to use as a guide when completing your Assessment. Responses that do not meet the expectations of scholarly writing will be returned without scoring. Properly formatted APA citations and references must be provided, where appropriate.
- Be sure to use scholarly academic resources as specified in the rubric. This means using Walden Library databases to obtain peer reviewed articles. Additionally, .gov (government expert sources) are a quality resource option.
Note: Internet and .com sources do not meet this requirement. Contact your coach or SME for guidance on using Library Databases.
- Carefully review the rubric for the Assessment as part of your preparation to complete your Assessment work.
Access the following to complete this Assessment:
- Eacott, S. (2019). Starting points for a relational approach to organizational theory: An overview. Research in Educational Administration and Leadership (REAL), 4(1), 16 – 45. https://www.doi.org/10.30828/real/2019.1.2
- Haveman, H. A., & Wetts, R. (2019). Contemporary organizational theory: The demographic, relational, and cultural perspectives. Sociology Compass, 13(3), e12664. https://www.doi.org/10.1111/soc4.12664
- Use the APA course paper template available here.
This Assessment requires submission of three (3) files. Save your files as follows:
- Save the slide presentation in Part I as HR004_PartI_firstinitial_lastname (for example, HR004_PartI_J_Smith).
- Save your speech in Part II as HR004_PartII_firstinitial_lastname (for example, HR004_PartII_J_Smith).
- Save your slide presentation in Part III as HR004_PartIII_firstinitial_lastname (for example, HR004_PartIII_J_Smith).
You may submit a draft of your assignment to the Turnitin Draft Check area to check for authenticity. When you are ready to upload your completed Assessment, use the Assessment tab on the top navigation menu.
This assessment has three-parts. Click each of the items below to complete this assessment.
- You are a healthcare consultant with a thriving practice working with Chicago-area hospitals. Your expertise is in organizational design and organizational behavior. One of your clients, Gary Gottlieb, has accepted your proposal to work with his organization.
- In your consulting experience, you have found that reviewing the history of organizational theory helps management teams creatively approach the challenges they face. In addition, it is important to be able to analyze managements contribution to organizational effectiveness and consider how strategy shapes organizational structure.
- Create a slide presentation (1015 slides), including presenter notes, for the Cardiovascular Council (a senior executive team) that completes the following:(Note: Use tables and/or diagrams where appropriate.)
- Describe one of the most important contributions to organizational theory.
- Describe unique aspects of organizational structure and the design of the physical space of an organization with which you are familiar and how these unique aspects of organizational structure and the design of the physical space impact the culture of these types of organizations.
- Analyze one way management has been both effective and ineffective and recommend one best practice that management can refer to when working on other projects.
- Identify at least two challenges (using organizational theories as a framework) that the organization is faced with in aligning strategy and organizational culture. Conclude with the potential impact on key stakeholders.
- Gary Gottleib has asked you to present the introductory speech to kick off a 1-day workshop about cultural competence. The workshop is for the new middle management team at his organization. Specifically, he has asked you to speak on the topic: Fostering Diversity and Collaboration in the Dynamic Healthcare Environment.
- Record an introductory speech (35 minutes) to kick-off this workshop.Your speech should include:
- An overview of the types of diversity that the organization faces.
- A description of the role and importance of cultural competency in the creation of the organization.
- An explanation of the effect of cultural competency on the overall culture of the organization.
- Concluding remarks with at least two recommendations specific to the role of middle managers for managing diversity in the healthcare environment.
- Dr. Gottlieb is concerned about the organizations relationship with physicians. Physicians are concerned that their incomes will decline with the new practice model. As a result, Dr. Gottlieb believes that physicians will not be motivated to increase quality. Hes asked for your help in preparing background information and key talking points for a discussion that he is planning with the most influential physicians who will practice at the organization.
- In a report (24-slide presentation) to Dr. Gottlieb:
- Assess the culture of an organization, with specific attention to the physicians.
- Explain at least one implication of organizational culture, with regard to the new practice model.
- Describe at least two barriers to change for the organization.
- Use motivational theories to assess the situation involving the physicians and explain how theories of motivation apply to the culture of the organization.
- Recommend two potential action steps to improve motivation for the physicians that include at least one action step related to engaging support from board governance in the process change.