Systems and structures (12 points)
Systems and structures can influence change initiatives and the organizations strategy and culture as a whole. It is critical that the proper structures are created, which are aligned with the organizations strategy and culture. For the purpose of this discussion, please do the following:
Think of a change you are familiar with.
- Share the type of organization structure in the organization.
- Discuss how the existing structures and systems affected the ability of the change leader to bring about the desired change? Were any systems changed to prepare for the change? Detail the systems/structures that were involved?
- How did formal and informal systems and structures influence the success or challenges in this change?
- Did the organizational structures and systems reduce or increase the uncertainty and complexity of the change in the organization?
Embed course material concepts, principles, and theories, which require supporting citations along with two scholarly peer-reviewed references in supporting your answer. Keep in mind that these scholarly references can be found in the Saudi Digital Library by conducting an advanced search specific to scholarly references.
You are required to reply to at least two peer discussion question post answers to the weekly discussion question. These peer replies need to be substantial and constructive in nature. They should add to the content of the post and evaluate/analyze that answer. Normal course dialogue does not fulfill these two peer replies but is expected throughout the course. Answering all course questions is also required.
- Structures and systems are utilized so that an organization operates in a specific and routine manner. Leaders and managers create these structures and systems to control the actions of their subordinates and to ensure that the work to be done is accomplished efficiently and effectively. Because structures and systems were created to establish routine and continuity, changing these can be challenging. As we examine how to modify these systems to reflect the changing ambitions of an organization, reflect upon the difficulty leaders and managers confront in changing the status quo and how ingrained systems can significantly impede even the best of intentions. This week, you have a Discussion Question. Participating will enhance your understanding of this weeks material.Learning Outcomes
- Examine how formal organizational structures and systems can foster, impair, and facilitate the change process.
- Evaluate adaptive organizational structures and systems to increase the likelihood of change and continuous improvement.