For this assignment, you will choose one of the four following controversial topics and write a position paper of 45 content pages (plus a title page and references page) that answers the question posed by the title.
- Do we need a common identity?
- Is racial profiling defensible public policy?
- Is the emphasis on a color-blind society an answer to racism?
- Is gentrification another form of segregation?
If you haven’t yet:
- Review the Issues Summary [PDF] to help you select your topic.
- Review the Riverbend City: Arguments, Counterarguments, and Rebuttals. Your answers in the media piece will help you with this assignment.
- Review the media piece about how to define what constitutes Reliable Evidence.
- Review the Activity: Controversial Topic Preparation.
- Review the Culture, Ethnicity, and Diversity Library Guide. This guide was created to provide tips for this assignment.
For your paper, use five sources. You may choose two of your five resources required for the assignment from the list below. Find your topic below and review the articles related to your topic.
Do we need a common national identity?
- Miller, D., & Ali, S. (2014). Testing the national identity argument. Political Science Review, 6(2), 237259.
- Schildkraut, D.J., Boundaries of American identity: Evolving understandings of Us. Annual Review of Political Science, 17, 441460.
Is racial profiling defensible public policy?
- Coleman, M. & Kocher, A. (2019). Rethinking the Gold Standard of Racial Profiling: §287(g), Secure communities and racially discrepant police power. American Behavioral Scientist, 63(9),11851220.
- Dizon, J.P.M. (2021). Protecting the university, policing race: A case study of campus policing. Journal of Diversity in Higher Education.
Is the emphasis on a color-blind society an answer to racism?
- Mekawi, Y., Todd, N. R., Yi, J., & Blevins, E. J. (2020). Distinguishing ‘I dont see color from Racism is a thing of the past: Psychological correlates of avoiding race and denying racism. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 67(3), 288302.
- Yi, J., Todd, N. R., & Mekawi, Y. (2020). Racial colorblindness and confidence in and likelihood of action to address prejudice. American Journal of Community Psychology, 65(3/4), 407422.
Is gentrification another form of segregation?
- Hwang, J., & Ding, L. (2020). Unequal displacement: Gentrification, racial stratification, and residential destinations in Philadelphia. American Journal of Sociology, 126(2), 354406.
- Krings, A., & Schusler, T. M. (2020). Equity in sustainable development: Community responses to environmental gentrification. International Journal of Social Welfare, 29(4), 321334.
- Mordechay, K., Ayscue, J. B., & Civil Rights Project, P. D. C. C. for C. R. R. (CCRR). (2019). School integration in gentrifying neighborhoods: Evidence from New York City. In Civil Rights Project – Proyecto Derechos Civiles. Civil Rights Project – Proyecto Derechos Civiles.