Review the Starbucks case and develop a comprehensive analysis of the company, the issues presented in the case, and possible strategies for the company to address the presented issues.
Process (see pp. C-4 to C-12 in the text):
Read the case study.
Identify the key players and critical facts.
- Identify the key problems. Do not get sidetracked by symptoms that are part of the problem but not the problem itself.
Identify the goals of the parties in the case study.
- Conduct a situational analysis.
- Research the company beyond what is presented in the case study.
- Review Ch. 2 and Ch. 3 in the textbook.
- Make the diagnosis
- What strategic concepts and tools would be helpful to resolve the issue?
- What are the predicaments and problems for the company? Prioritize them. What do they need to deal with first?
Identify three possible solutions for the company. Be bold and creative (but realistic). Make sure you are addressing the problems and not just the symptoms.
- What are the pros and cons of each solution?
- Decide on one of the proposed solutions and explain your recommendation.
- Identify and explain three actions steps to implement your recommendation.
Analyze the financial implications of your solution both in terms of revenue, expenses, and profitability.
- Report: Prepare a report that details your analysis.
- Identify key players and critical facts.
Identify key problems and goals.
Conduct a situational analysis.
Analyze and discuss the key concepts from the textbook. You should have at least one substantive paragraph per concept. Cite references (when using the textbook in the report, use the following format after using the source (Hitt, Chapter #, Chapter Title, section heading, p. #). An example is (Hitt, Ch. 9, Cooperative Strategy, Slow Cycle Markets, p. 285).
- Identify and explain the strategic concepts applicable to the case. Apply the concepts to the case.
- Utilize any relevant tools.
- What are the problems? Prioritize them.
- Identify three possible solutions with the pros and cons of each.
- Decide on one of the proposed solutions.
Identify three actions steps to implement a solution.
Conclusion what you are taking away from the exercise?
- References what sources did you use? Use APA formatting.
- Presentation: Prepare a slide presentation in PowerPoint or Prezi summarizing your analysis. It should complement your report and be a stand-alone (i.e. you can get a good picture of your work without having to go through the report). It should be no more than 10 slides. Make sure you use images and visuals, and that the slides are not too wordy (i.e. don’t just copy and paste from the report).