To earn the points for this experience, you may write up to ten Article Summary Papers. Article summaries are submitted via the GEP PSY 2012 Webcourse and are NOT submitted to your instructor.
Each paper will be worth up to one (1) of your ten (10) points, depending on how carefully you follow the instructions and rubric below.
Each paper needs to be between 800-1,000 words- no more and no less.
You must also use 12-point Times New Roman font.
You need to save your file as either Microsoft Word format or rich text format (.rtf) in order for the summary to be uploaded to Webcourses. It is your responsibility to ensure that your file is saved correctly and in the correct file format before the deadline. It is also your responsibility to ensure that you can successfully upload your article summary into the system prior to the deadline. Do not wait until the last minute to upload your article summaries in case you experience technical problems.
Your paper will automatically be submitted to Turnitin upon submission, to determine how another authors work was used in the assignment. Make sure you take notes while reading the selected article in your own words. Do not copy and paste directly from the selected article because matches to other authors works of 30% or more will result in an automatic zero (0) for the assignment.
At the top of your summary, you must include your name, the name of the article you selected, the name of the journal that the article was taken from, name of the authors of the article, and your total word count. An example is below:
- Name of article
- Name of journal that the article was in
- Authors names
- Word count
Your summary should not include any direct quotations from the article you selected. Put everything in your own words and do not summarize the abstract section of the article.
You should summarize a recent research journal article from one of the American Psychological Association (APA) journals listed in the table below. Please note that you will receive a zero if your summary is on a paper that is not from one of the journals listed below and/or it is not clear from your title page whether you used one of these journals.
- Remember! If you upload your file in any format that is not Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx) or rich text format (.rtf) your paper will receive a zero. Also, you will receive deductions if you do not follow all of the instructions carefully (see grading rubric below).
- Approved Journal List: You must select an article from one of these sources!!!
- Approved Journals
- Approved Journals
- Behavioral Neuroscience (Links to an external site.)
- Canadian Journal of Behavioural Science (Links to an external site.)
- Canadian Journal of Experimental Psychology (Links to an external site.)
- Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology (Links to an external site.)
First, click on the journal you would like to view (in box above). This will take you to the external site of the journal.
For instance, if you select Behavioral Neuroscience, the first journal, you will see this:
Next, select Read Sample Articles located beside the cover image of the journal.
This will take you to a list of articles you can access for free. Do NOT pay for an article!!!!
Then click on the article that interests you.