Touchstone 3.1: Construct a Rogerian Argument
ASSIGNMENT: As you learned in this unit, a Rogerian argument is one that presents two sides of a debate and argues for a solution that will satisfy both sides. Given two articles presenting opposing sides of an issue (mandatory uniforms in schools), construct your own 2-3 page Rogerian argument essay in which you attempt to arrive at a workable solution or “middle ground.”
In order to foster learning and growth, all essays you submit must be newly written specifically for this course. Any recycled work will be sent back with a 0, and you will be given one attempt to redo the Touchstone.
Article 1: “School Dress Codes and Uniform Policies”
Article 2: “Dressing Diversity: Politics of Difference and the Case of School Uniforms”
A. Assignment Guidelines
DIRECTIONS: Refer to the list below throughout the writing process. Do not submit your Touchstone until it meets these guidelines.
1. Summary of Positions
- ? Have you briefly introduced the author and publication context (year, journal, etc.) of Article 1?
- ? Have you included a summary of the stance presented in Article 1?
- ? Have you briefly introduced the author and publication context (year, journal, etc.) of Article 2?
- ? Have you included a summary of the stance presented Article 2?
- ? Does you claim address both sides of the issue, including specific points raised in the articles?
- ? Does your claim present a clear, workable solution that could be viewed as a “middle ground” between the two sides?
- ? Have you backed up your claim using facts from both sides of the argument?
- ? When using direct quotations, have you supplemented them with your own explanation of their relevance?
- ? Have you answered all reflection questions thoughtfully and included insights, observations, and/or examples in all responses?
- ? Are your answers included on a separate page below the main assignment?
DIRECTIONS: Below your assignment, include answers to all of the following reflection questions.
- How does the Rogerian model of argument help you better understand the topic thats being discussed? Why is it a good practice to acknowledge both sides of the argument? (3-4 sentences)
- Will you use the Rogerian Approach in your own argumentative essay? Why or why not? (2-3 sentences)