- All projects begin by answering one of two questions:
- How can I make business scenario ABC better or more efficient?
- What business scenario can I automate to benefit organization XYZ?
- For this assignment, select a business scenario you would like to develop into a project over the next five weeks. You have two options:
- You may select one of the two business scenarios described in Select a Business Scenario.
- You may select a business scenario of your choosing. This can be a scenario from your workplace; for example, a frustrating process you have been eager to rework or a potential process you have been thinking of that does not exist yet but that you think would be valuable to your organization if it were developed into an IT project.
- Note: If you decide to select a business scenario of your choosing, you must obtain approval from your instructor for your scenario before beginning the project proposal assignment, which is also due this week.
Download Select a Business Scenario and read through the options.
Type your selection (Scenario A, Scenario B, or Scenario C) directly into the Select a Business Scenario document (on the space provided next to each scenario). If you select Scenario C, you must include a scenario description as outlined in the document.
Important note: You must complete the Select a Business Plan assignment and get approval from your instructor for a business scenario before you begin this assignment.
The purpose of the project proposal is to describe a project (i.e., to describe how to automate or improve the automation of a specific business process) and then to explain how completing the project will positively affect the business.
Once a project proposal is accepted, project work can begin; therefore, a successful project proposal must include all of the information necessary for stakeholders to make a go/no-go decision, including a statement of scope, a list of the benefits you expect the proposed project to provide, and a rough estimate of how long it will take and how much it will cost to complete the project.
For this assignment, you will create a 3- to 4-page project proposal for the business scenario you selected earlier this week and that was approved by your instructor. For your project proposal, be sure to:
- Complete the Project Proposal Template based on the business scenario you selected (and that was approved by your instructor) earlier this week. If you prefer, you may re-create the template using another software application of your choice, such as Microsoft Excel®.
- Develop a project definition and scope that defines the project and articulates the business context for the project.
- Identify problems that the proposed system is expected to solve (or opportunities the proposed project is expected to produce).
- Create project objectives.
- Create the project methodology or game plan.
- Compile a high-level schedule for completing the project scope.