Review the following scenario and answer all of the questions below, using complete sentences written in your own words. Please write a minimum of one paragraph per child (adapted from Health, Safety, and Nutrition for the Young Child, Chapter 12
Ruby runs a small child care program in her home. The preschool-age children begin arriving at 7am each morning and leave by 5:30pm. Ruby prepares and serves them breakfast, lunch, and two snacks throughout the day. This year, she has encountered several children who have challenging food allergies and food preferences. What suggestions would you offer to help Ruby in each of the following situations?
- Layla, age 4, breaks out in hives whenever she has eaten too many strawberries or oranges. She will occasionally accept a small serving of applesauce or a few bites of banana, but few other fruits.
- What two nutrientsare probably deficient in Layla’s diet?
- What other fruits or vegetables can Ruby serve to supply these essential vitamins?
- Ailani, age 3, is lactose intolerant and unable to drink milk or eat dairy products.
- What nutrientis most likely deficient in Ailani’s diet?
- What other foods can Ruby serve to met Ailani’s nutrient needs?
- Carlos, age 4, doesn’t like milk and prefers fruit juice or lemonade instead.
- What two nutrientsare most likely deficient in Carlos’ diet?
- What adjustments can Ruby make to his diet to meet these needs?
- Mariko, age 2, prefers a daily diet of rice or noodles with soy sauce. She will take a few bites of tofu, but refuses meats, fish, and most vegetables.
- What nutrients is Mariko most likely missing?
- What health concerns would you have about Mariko’s current dietary pattern?
- What can Ruby do to improve Mariko’s dietary intake?
- Sophia’s favorite breakfast foods include bacon, sausages, doughnuts, and biscuits with gravy.
- What nutrientsis Sophia consuming in excess?
- What food groups and nutrients is Sophia lacking?
- Should Ruby be concerned? Why?
- What can Ruby do to encourage healthier eating habits?
Submit your assignment via Turnitin on the following page. The only accepted files are Word files or .pdf files. I can’t open .pages files or .txt files. Files that are submitted in the wrong file format will earn a zero.
please let me know if any of the links are not working