Throughout this course you have learned about many different aspects of curriculum planning and development to support the needs of diverse learners. In your summative assignment you will bring this knowledge together by finalizing lessons you began in Weeks 2 and 3 to develop your complete thematic unit. You will also continue to build your ePortfolio by adding a new page with your thematic unit.
To prepare for this assignment,
- Please refer to the Week 5 Guidance for further tips and examples that will support your success on this assignment.
- If you did not begin the development of your ePortfolio in ECD 305, please read the Folio Quick Start Guide (Links to an external site.).
- Read Chapter 11: Language, Literacy, and Language Arts.
- Review the feedback you have received on your previous assignments.
- Review the and
In your assignment,
- Describe how the thematic unit you have created aligns with your philosophy of curriculum and uses a developmentally appropriate approach to meeting the needs of diverse learners. Refer back to your Week 2 Assignment: Sharing Curriculum with Families and Week 3 Assignment: Developing Your Thematic Unit for support.
- Explain your plan for sharing this thematic unit with the families of the children you are working with. Refer back to your Week 2 Assignment: Sharing Curriculum with Families for support.
- Examine your role in fostering each childs development and joy of learning through the implementation of this unit, including how you will consider the needs of diverse learners.
- Finalize the concept map that you started in Week 3 by revising your current map and adding at least three ideas for social-emotional development, social studies, and literacy. Refer back to your Week 3 Assignment Developing Your Thematic Unit and Week 4 discussion Cognitive Development Through Math and Science for support.
- Develop your thematic unit lessons:
- Revise your Creative Arts focused lesson from Week 3: Use the feedback you received from your instructor in addition to any new learning,
- Revise your Fine and Gross Motor Skills focused lesson from Week 3: Use the feedback you received from your instructor in addition to any new learning,
- Develop a STEM focused lesson. You must use the ECE/CD Lesson Plan Template (Links to an external site.) to create your lesson. Refer back to the plan you created in the Week 4 Discussion: Cognitive Development Through Science and Math to complete your lesson.
- Develop a literacy and social -emotional focused lesson. You must use the ECE/CD Lesson Plan Template (Links to an external site.) to create your lesson.
Assignment Submission Requirements:
- This assignment will be submitted to Waypoint, as well as added to your ePortfolio. Please refer to the instructions below to submit your assignment.
For this assignment, you must submit
- A link to your electronic portfolio in Folio. To do this you will copy and paste the web address into the comments feature in Waypoint.
- A Word document of your completed assignment.
The Thematic Unit
- Must be 8 to 10 double-spaced pages in length (not including title and reference pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Students name
- Course name and number
- Instructors name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least three scholarly resources (Links to an external site.) in addition to the course text.
- The BA ECDDI Research Guide is a resource that has been developed to assist you in completing the library research required for this assignment. Click on the button titled ECD 310 from the homepage of the research guide to gain access to additional resources that can support you with the development of your assignment.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. Please refer to the In-Text Citation Guide (Links to an external site.) for further assistance.
- Must include a separate reference page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. Please refer to the APA References List (Links to an external site.) resource for further assistance.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.) for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.