OPTION #1: CORPORATE FINANCE APPLICATION
For your final project you will create a presentation, continuing with the option you selected in the module 3 portfolio milestone assignment. You have already completed Part A and B through your portfolio milestones. Each part of the assignment depicted below must be represented with at least one slide and must include a minimum of 500 words per slide in the notes section.
Part A: Ratio Analysis (Week 3 Milestone)
Attached are the financial statements for Smith Company, Inc. Use the financial statements to calculate the attached ratios. Write a couple sentences interpreting the ratio.
- Calculate and interpret the following debt ratios: debt ratio, debt-equity ratio, and times interest earned.
- Calculate and interpret the following profitability ratios: operating profit margin, net profit margin, return on assets, and return on equity.
Part B: Require Return for Capital Funding (Week 5 Milestone)
Suppose that Smith Company is considering a new project. They are trying to determine the required rate of return for their debt and equity holders. See the information below:
- A 7.5% percent annual coupon bond with 20 years to maturity, selling for 104 percent of par. The bonds make semiannual payments. What is the before tax cost of debt? If the tax rate is 40%, what is the after-tax cost of debt?
- The firm’s beta is 1.2. The risk-free rate is 4.0% and the expected market return is 9%. What is the cost of equity using CAPM?
Part C: WACC and Capital Budgeting
- Calculate the firm’s WACC (using 2018 numbers). (You will need to collect information on the long-term debt and common stock equity from the Balance Sheet. The firm has no preferred stock).
- Use the WACC to calculate NPV and evaluate IRR for proposed capital budgeting projects. Assume the projects are mutually exclusive and the firm has the money available to fund the project.
Part D: Analysis
- You will must offer suggests to a senior financial manager and CFO on the proposed projects. Be sure to include a discussion of external funding and where it should come from if necessary and which project the firm should undertake. Prepare a presentation, a minimum of one slide for each part, summarizing your results. You should submit either an Excel or Word document showing your work for each part.
See rubric for specific graded criteria. Be sure to cite sources if applicable. The CSU Global Library (Links to an external site.) is a good place to find your sources. Format your entire presentation according to CSU Global Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
Please upload Part A and Part B as separate files in addition to including it with the final product, that you.