The purpose of this final assignment is to develop your own subtopic within the broader topic of first-generation college graduates. You will compose a research proposal outline using the resources and any other articles to support your subtopic. You may take either a qualitative or quantitative approach.
- Garriott, P. O., Hudyma, A., Keene, C., & Santiago, D. (2015). Social cognitive predictors of first and non-first-generation college students academic and life satisfaction. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 62(2), 253263.
- Johnson, S. R., & Stage, F. K. (2018). Academic engagement and student success: Do high-impact practices mean higher graduation rates? Journal of Higher Education, 89(5), 753-781.
- Olive, T. (2014). Desire for higher education in first-generation Hispanic college students enrolled in a graduate counseling program. Journal of Phenomenological Psychology, 45(1), 7291.
- Schelbe, L., Swanbrow Becker, M., Spinelli, C., & McCray, D. (2019). First generation college students perceptions of an academic retention program. Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 19(5), 6176.
- Smith, K. J., Emerson, D. J., Haight, T. D., Mauldin, S., & Wood, B. G. (2019). An examination of the psychometric properties of the Connor-Davidson resilience scale – 10 (CD-RISC10) among accounting and business students. Journal of Accounting Education, 47, 4862.
Use one of the following templates to explore the subtopic you are proposing and complete all the research characteristics that are reflected in each of the PPT slides:
Please leave all subheadings in the PowerPoint slides and build your content under those subheadings. Be sure to use cited support throughout the outline. Once completed, this template can serve as a guide for your own research proposal project in the future.
This assignment requires that you use your accumulated knowledge about the elements of research. In this final project, you will create a proposal for how you might study the topic of first generation college students either qualitatively or quantitatively.
A PowerPoint template has been provided for you to outline your ideas. Each slide has a major heading that focuses on the given research component. The major headings are accompanied by subheadings that signal the main points to be addressed. As this is a PowerPoint presentation, you are not asked to provide a full narrative, but rather clear and concise bullet points demonstrating your understanding or each aspect of the plan.
It is important to use the literature provided above, the course text, and any additional scholarly sources you choose to support your proposal. See Program Library Research Guides, Reviewing the Literature, and Library Help for guidance.
- Competency 2: Evaluate the characteristics, purposes, benefits, strengths, and weaknesses of research methods.
- Apply the components of the research introduction for the given topic.
- Apply the components of the research procedures for the given topic.ï»¿
- Competency 4: Evaluate data collection and analysis strategies based on the characteristics of the research design.
- Explain the expected findings for the given topic.
- Competency 5: Examine the appropriate application of scientific research methodology.
- Create a complete and appropriate research proposal outline.
- Competency 6: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with the expectations for members in the identified field of study.
- Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with the expectations for members of an identified field of study, using APA style and formatting.