Adolescent development is broad and wide-ranging, including physical, socioemotional, and cognitive growth. It is important to have an understanding of cognitive and social development in order to meet the diverse needs of adolescent students.
For this benchmark assignment, consider information learned regarding physical development and integrate it with your understanding of the social/emotional and cognitive changes occurring during adolescence.
Write a 750-1,000 word essay addressing the following concerns:
- In what ways do cognitive and social development affect learning? How do individuality, identity development, and personal behavior affect learning differences and development?
- How can diverse strengths, interests, and needs of adolescents be accounted for when designing developmentally appropriate instruction that advances learning?
- What is the significance of providing an environment that brings multiple perspectives into the discussion of content? What considerations should be made for the cultural norms and the personal, family, and community experiences of students?
- Why are school, community, and family supports critical to student learning and the overall well-being of adolescents? How can ongoing support from these stakeholders be assured?
- How can technology reinforce learning experiences? How can a teacher ensure appropriate use of digital tools in the classroom? In what ways might digital tools support student success and creativity in a collaborative, student-focused classroom environment?
Support your essay with a minimum of three scholarly resources.
Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the LopesWrite Technical Support articles for assistance.
MA in Secondary Education
This benchmark assignment assesses the following programmatic competencies [and professional standards]:
1.1: Create developmentally appropriate instruction that takes into account individual students strengths, interests, and needs and that enables each student to advance and accelerate his or her learning. [InTASC 1(a), 1(b), 1(d), 1(e), 1(h), 1(i), 1(j); ISTE-T 2b; MC3]
1.3: Bring multiple perspectives to the discussion of content, including attention to students personal, family, and community experiences and cultural norms. [InTASC 2(d), 2(j), 2(n), 4(m), 5(p), 10(m); MC1, MC3, MC5]
4.3: Working collaboratively with school colleagues, teacher candidates build ongoing connections with community resources to enhance student learning and well-being. [InTASC 9(d), 10(e), 10(l), 10(r); MC1, MC4]
Requirements: .doc file